Standalone Win8.1Update_PE x64 or x86

2014/05/15 | By | 52 Replies More

New Win8.1 with Update PE available in standalone x86 or x64 versions.  This version includes many new requested apps including 5 different browsers, for those who are picky about their browser or for web site compatibility testing.

Note 1. WinPE boots in ram. For best results the x86 version requires at least 2.5 gb of ram and the x64  version with 3GB or more of ram. If you start getting strange errors when launching applications it is usually low memory issues.

Note 2. Give powershell 10-15 seconds to load all its modules on start-up.

Note 3. This is the Windows 8.1 Update Version 6.3.9600.17031

Note 4.  Anyone having issues with the x86 version download  the Gandalf’s_Win8.1uPE_x86v3.iso version and let me know how it works for you.  Give it a minimum 2.5 gb of ram and give me feedback on how it works for you.

Google Chrome  Internet Explorer 11
 7Zip  MBR Fix
 Clamwin Antivirus  Filezilla FTP
 Regshot  Drive Snapshot Disk Imager (use desktop icon if trial  expires)
 CC Cleaner  Process Monitor
 Process Hacker  Defraggler
 Process Monitor  Process Explorer
 Tree Size  Irfan View
 Disk Defraggler  Virtual Keyboard
 MS Wordpad  StartisBack (ctrl & win key for start screen)
 MS Paint  D7 Technician Tools (only x86)
 Team Viewer  PicPick Screen Capture
 Virtual Magnifying Glass  Maxthon Browser
 Opera  Firefox
 Gimagex  HijackThis
 HWiNFO  Media player classic
 Windows Hotfix Downloader  WinToolkit
 Win Merge  Wise Data Recovery
 Active Password Changer  Active Partition Manager
 Active Undelete  Powershell 4
 Remote desktop client  Rufus
apps

Start Screen showing all apps

image

All Apps also listed in the Start Menu

Windows Start Menu under All Programs (see image below). If you prefer to use the Portable Apps menu instead the in run the Portable Apps Menu shortcut on the taskbar.  The portable apps menu also allows you to download more apps by selecting the Apps>Get more apps. These freshly downloaded apps will only be available during the current session

image

Portable Apps Menu

Screenshots

image

Desktop

image

Remote Desktop client connected to Winodws 7 box

Powershell version 4

Powershell version 4

image

Start Screen displaying Apps by category

Start Screen displaying Apps by name

Start Screen displaying Apps by name

. .X64 Version                    X86 Version                 .          .X64 Version

Brasil/Portuguese Keyboard

Download Button5         Download Button5                   Download Button5

It’s a large download . The x64 version is 1.47gb and the x86 version is 920 mb, so be patient it can take 15-30 minutes (depending on your internet speed) to download.  After downloading burn the bootable ISO file to DVD, USB or mount  the iso. A BIG THANKS to everyone over at theOven.org and the Win8.1PE SE Project for the great work they have done in helping me create this WIN8.1PE disk

Tags: ,

Category: windows 8.1 update, WinPE

About the Author ()

Comments (52)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

Sites That Link to this Post

1. using bootrec from within winpe possible? - ServerAB | 2014/08/30
  1. Dan says:

X64 version works good. Tnx for adding Opera. But I tried the x86 version (update) on 5 different computers from i3770K Intel on MSI with 8 gigs to couple laptops to AMD desktop with quad core and 4 gigs ram to older desktops and ALL fail with 0xc0000017 error at boot. Tried from DVD, ext USB etc. Did my own mod to your earlier x86 version to add Opera and some other progs and it works fine. tnx for these nice PE versions.

2. esowiki says:

Even within Vbox x86 version gives Boot error.

• gandalf50 says:

It works fine for me in both Hyper-V and VMware Workstation. I have added a second iso to the x86 download folder called Gandalf’s_Win8.1uPE_x86v2.ISO
      For those having issues with the x86 versuib try using that and let me know if it works for you
      Thanks

3. loyalhudy says:

x86v2 not working, 4GB RAM, Samsung notebook

4. bish says:

x86 & x86v2 are not working for me on usb, while x64 is working.

may i know the user name and password in x64 so that i can connect to and share files on network ?

thank you for great iso ! ^^

• gandalf50 says:

there is no password. If you want to share files on the network use your network credentials.

5. esowiki says:

X86v2 boots to the desktop, but there are problems eg. Chrome crashed as Firefox do.
    Tested in Vbox, next will try to boot from USB stick.

• gandalf50 says:

Did you give vbox more than 2.5 gb of ram?

• esowiki says:

Vbox testing with 1536kb 2048kb 2688kb all testings failed.
        Kingston 2GB USB stick made with Rufus failed, your X64 version works like a charm with same stick build with Rufus too.

• gandalf50 says:

thanks for the feedback. will look into the x86 issues

• gandalf50 says:

I have added another version of the x86 version Gandalf’s_Win8.1uPE_x86v3.iso
            Anyone having issues download this version and let me know how it works for you.
            Give it a minimum 2.5 gb of ram and give me feedback on how it works for you.

• sidispa says:

x86 version Gandalf’s_Win8.1uPE_x86v3.iso failed to load with same error on Dell.
            x64 works fine.
            Many thanks for great PE!

6. esowiki says:

short test shows X86v3 now working within Vbox (2560kb) but booting from USB stick still failed.
    USB testing with LG Notebook and Asus Z86 based desktop computer.
    X64 working with both computers without problems.

7. csm says:

I have a problem with mounting with pre-boot authentification a system partition with TrueCrypt. The error is it cannot set the US keyboard. I noticed that the option “Change input method” in Control Panel is not available, hence the posible cause of error?. The nonsystem partition can be mounted. Any chance to resolve this? Thanks P.S. I tried only x64 edition because of drivers in another backup software that I use.

8. sidispa says:

Tests were done on a Dell workstation T7500 4GB and USB 2GB using Rufus (Trend OfficeScan has to be disabled because it blocked the writing of autorun.inf)

Gandalf’s_Win8.1SE_x64_& _x86_dual_boot v1.1
    Both boots worked OK, with DVD and USB

Same results with Gandalf’s_Win8.1uPE_x64

Gandalf’s_Win8.1uPE_x86v3 failed with DVD and USB. After finished the loading the boot failed with the 0xc0000017 error.

Thanks for your quality work.

9. Steve says:

Hello Gandalf,

Could you please integrate the Bitlocker Drive Encription into the 8.1PE? I think it is not a space eater and could help me (and others) a lot.

I’m not an expert in making PE environment but if you give me detailed instructions maybe I could make it for myself :)

10. Steve says:

Next question: How should I integrate other keyboard layouts?

• Steve says:

I solved it with a 3rd party app. Its working good.

I would like to integrate a little bit harder application Acronis True Image 2014… do you have any idea how to do this? :S

11. Henk says:

Thank you very much for this PE version, very handy. I used it primarily to remove viruses and repair the boot sector.

When the PE is booted, the harddisk of the pc or laptop is the C: drive. So sometimes it’s not possible to change the partitions. How can I avoid this?

12. sinai says:

Soon, it will be better than Hiren’s Boot CD.
    Good work!!!!
    I follow your work and wait for the next version.

13. John says:

I’d like to ask 2 things
    1. is it possible to install to HDD. i ‘d love to have a small partition that will act as recovery -emergency and dual boot between my present installation and this special
    2.If it possible can u add Office Support (like Open Office or Libre Office) along with Ms Access Runtime and Word/Excel/Powerpoint Viewers ….Imagine this scenario…you have prepared a paper and a nasty virus has wrecked the system just before u go out and present it…so dual boot to PE open the document voila…no harm done

14. Moscka says:

Download links are offline.

15. Amit says:

How to load win 8.1 PE into USB Pen drive

16. scott says:

downloaded x86 version
    Using Rufus 1.4.9.506
    pointed rufus to ISO…

getting Stop 0xc0000017

any ideas?

• gandalf50 says:

This error seems to be associated with memory – or lack of it.
      How much RAM do you have?

17. scott says:

Thanks for the reply..
    Using Dell Latitude e7440 with 8GB of mem

• gandalf50 says:

Just so I understand your question, you a getting the error when using rufus? or when booting the usb?

• anwar says:

” Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
        1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
        2. Choose your language settings, and then click “Next”.
        3. Click “Repair your computer.”
        If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
        Status: 0xc0000017
        info: There isn’t enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

• gandalf50 says:

The last line of your error message says it all :info: There isn’t enough memory available to create a ramdisk device

18. Giroberto says:

I am trying to format another usb drive inside of winPE using rufus, when I try GPT mode rufus tell me to install 7zip, and on MBR rufus only format the drive, but do not copy the files, anyone else with this problem?

19. Sim says:

Thank You for this PE. I have been trying to make a win 8.1 pe using winbuilder but your one is way more better than mine so I give up!
    and I also wanted to ask if would you mind if I edited your pe to add some stuff. Thanks again.

20. Sergio says:

First I want to thank you so much for this amazing ISO. (Using x64 and it runs very nice).
    I have a question about changing the language input method, is that possible? I`m from Brazil and I`m temporally using this tool because I`ve lost my HD and I`m using this tool as an emergency (some college works and projects). Anyway, I`m just wondering if that is possible or if there is some tool for this purpose.
    Thanks again and great job.

• gandalf50 says:

It would probably have to be done at the time of image creation. I will look into seeing if there is a way to inject the languages.

21. Juan C Diaz says:

Are you working on a new version of this PE?
    I would like for the upcoming PE to have a way to read the computers specs and pull a full report on it. :) D7 does that but does not do the full specs. :(

PS. Is there a way I can install the PE on a USB and is there a video on how to do it. Much appreciate it.

22. Mark Prziborowski says:

I downloaded the X86 version and this is what it said. This seem’s strange as I have downloaded previous versions with no problem.

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and then click “Next.”

3. Click “Repair your computer.”

Status: 0xc0000017

Info: An unexpected error has occurred.

23. larry says:

Your creation is both a piece of art and a magical key! like my regular keys, I tend to misplace them — especially when I need them most. Like another commenter said earlier, I would love to install this on a small partition of the hard drive permanently so I won’t have to go looking for my USB key when I need it most. Can you offer any guidance on how to do that? Great work.

• larry says:

By the way… I did show SOME initiative and attempted to add your PE to my hard drive by :

I created a vhdx disk file using diskpart

Create vdisk file=c:\WinPE.vhdx maximum=5000
      Attach vdisk
      Format vdisk fs=fat32 quick
      Assign letter=t

Then I applied the boot.wim image found in your sources folder from the PE

imagex /apply boot.wim 1 t:

Then I tried adding an entry to the BCD store by copying the current one

bcdedit /copy {current} /d “Boot WinPE”

Bcdedit gave me a GUID of the newly created OS entry which I used in the following commands

Then I applied some settings:

bcdedit /set {GUID} osdevice partition=t:
      bcdedit /set {GUID} device partition=t:
      bcdedit /set {GUID} winpe yes
      bcdedit /set {GUID} detecthal yes

The menu option showed up when I booted but if I select it my system starts the repair process and diagnosing my PC and is ultimately unsuccessful.

Was I even close?

24. Unified says:

What a great piece of work. Really appreciable! I have been using HBCD for a very long time and that development is bit slow lately. This will come really handy. Thanks once again :-)

Do you have a newsletter option in this site so all subscribers gets regular updates?

25. hugui says:

Hi good afternoon, I have downloaded the image “Gandalf’s_Win8.1uPE_x86v3″ and have tried several USB and various programs to create bootable USB, but it gives me an error, it seems that you are missing files, anyone can help me ?, many thank you.

• gandalf50 says:

What are you using to create the bootable image? When are you getting the error? During bootable image creation or after? Have you tried rufus?